Problem occured while sending mail
sui
2008-09-18 03:56:02 UTC
this is my code
import sys, os, glob, datetime, time
import smtplib
## Parameters for SMTP session
port=587
SMTPserver= 'smtp.gmail.com'
SMTPuser= '... at gmail.com'
pw= 'fill in here'
SENDER= SMTPuser
## Message details
FROM= SENDER
TO= 'notgm... at a.com'
CC=FROM
##RECEIVERS= (TO, CC) ##proper way to send to both TO and CC
RECEIVERS= (TO,) ## ignore the CC address
subject= 'Test 1a'
message='*** Email test *** '
print 'Starting SMTP mail session on %s as %s ' %
(SMTPserver,SMTPuser)
session = smtplib.SMTP(SMTPserver,port)
session.set_debuglevel(0) # set debug level to 1 to see details
session.ehlo(SMTPuser) # say hello
session.starttls() # TLS needed
session.ehlo(SMTPuser) # say hello again, not sure why
session.login(SMTPuser, pw)
##Create HEADER + MESSAGE
HEADER= 'From: %s\r\n' % FROM
HEADER= HEADER + 'To: %s\r\n' % TO
HEADER= HEADER + 'Cc: %s\r\n' % CC
HEADER= HEADER + 'Subject: %s\r\n' % subject
BODY= HEADER + '\r\n' + message
print BODY
SMTPresult = session.sendmail(SENDER, RECEIVERS, BODY) ## send email
session.close()
Now when i run this .py file...as python mail.py
i can see only statement
starting smtp mail......n details
then nothing on screen after few minutes or after pressing ctrl +c
File "mail4.py", line 21, in <module>
session = smtplib.SMTP(SMTPserver,port)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py", line 244, in __init__
(code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py", line 301, in connect
self.sock.connect(sa)
File "<string>", line 1, in connect
or may be conncetion time out
wats the solution for this
if i dont press cntrl + c then it shows
Starting SMTP mail session on smtp.gmail.com as gogtesuy... at gmail.com
File "mail4.py", line 21, in <module>
session = smtplib.SMTP(SMTPserver,port)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py", line 244, in __init__
(code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py", line 310, in connect
raise socket.error, msg
socket.error: (110, 'Connection timed out')
plz help me its urgent.....i want to complete it as early as possible
I pasted your code into a file named temp.py,
print 'Starting SMTP mail session on %s as %s ' %
peter at eleodes:~$ python temp.py
Starting SMTP mail session on smtp.gmail.com as .... at gmail.com
File "temp.py", line 27, in ?
session.login(SMTPuser, pw)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/smtplib.py", line 591, in login
raise SMTPAuthenticationError(code, resp)
smtplib.SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, \
'5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at\n' \
'5.7.1http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer='\
'14257 a8sm34686663poa.12')
peter at eleodes:~$
This indicates that it got much farther than when you ran it, since
your timeout message comes from the smtplib.SMTP call several lines
before the session.login call.
As a simple connectivity test, you might see whether you can connect
peter at eleodes:~$ telnet smtp.gmail.com 587
Trying 72.14.253.109...
Connected to gmail-smtp.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP m27sm34789033pof.6
^]c
telnet> c
Connection closed.
peter at eleodes:~$
Actually i m working at place where proxy server has been
working......so is it problem caused by that proxy server..peter thnks
for suggestion but still its not working......
sui
2008-09-17 12:04:02 UTC
[...]

Traceback (most recent call last):

wats the solution for this
Peter Pearson
Starting SMTP mail session on smtp.gmail.com as gogtesuyash at gmail.com
File "mail4.py", line 21, in <module>
session = smtplib.SMTP(SMTPserver,port)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py", line 244, in __init__
(code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/smtplib.py", line 310, in connect
raise socket.error, msg
socket.error: (110, 'Connection timed out')
plz help me its urgent.....i want to complete it as early as possible
I pasted your code into a file named temp.py,
print 'Starting SMTP mail session on %s as %s ' %
Here's what it does (long line wrapped manually):

peter at eleodes:~$ python temp.py

Peter Pearson
2008-09-18 14:49:22 UTC
[snip]
socket.error: (110, 'Connection timed out')
[snip]
As a simple connectivity test, you might see whether you can connect
[snip]
even i couldnt connect using telnet....
msg comes host is down
Then your problem is a networking problem. I know even less about
networking than I know about Python. Can you ping the destination?
Perhaps tracepath or traceroute will help you find where your
messages are being refused. Perhaps you are trying to work through
an internet access provider (e.g., ISP) that doesn't allow direct
connections to remote mail servers.

If I might add a grouchy comment, you really should learn a
little about netiquette. When you don't bother to trim the
quoted context or even to punctuate your text, you broadcast
a conspicuous implication that you value your own time much
more than you value the time of the people whose help you're
soliciting, which is incongruous and insulting. A more
carefully presented request might have gotten a response
from someone more knowledgeable -- and less grouchy -- than
me.
sui

sui